Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 2

Clay and I went to the clinic to meet with the neuro-oncology team this week. Dr. P was shining a flashlight in Clay's eyes while moving his fingers, testing for Clay's field of peripheral vision. It went something like this:

Dr. P: "Clayton, look at me. What finger am I moving?" (repeat 10 times).

Dr. P: "Wow, Clayton, you do this test really well."

Clay: "What do you think? I've been coming here since I was 3. Now I am 5 and a half."

Clay has started adding, "Duh." to the end of his sentences when he thinks you are missing the obvious. I was thankful he left it off this particular exchange, but it made me laugh nonetheless.

All the nurses and staff were happy to see Clay since it has been 4 months since we've been in the clinic. In this time he has grown 1 inch and gained another half-pound. They told us to expect a growth spurt after chemo and we are happy to see him shooting up. The best news of the appointment was the all-clear to get the port removed. This has been scheduled for July 11 and should be a quick, "happy" surgery, unlike the past 4 Clay has had to endure.

The summer is off to a good start, and Clay has enjoyed two weeks of morning camps, as well as swimming lessons. Headaches still slow him down, and we are working hard to see if there is any pattern to when or why he is getting them.

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment