Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Three Dog Nights

I have just finished reading "A 3 Dog Life" by Abigal Thomas. The title refers to the Australian Aboriginies practice of sleeping with their dogs for warmth on cold nights, the coldest being a "3 dog night." It certainly has been that kind of night lately with our record breaking snowfall last Saturday. This memoir details the years following a car accident the authors husband was in one night in New York city while walking the dog (that she made him get). Passages like this one in particular grabbed me:
'There is no irony here, no room for guilt or second-guessing. That would be a diversion, and an indulgence. These are hard facts to be faced head-on. We are in this together, my husband and I, we have been thrown into this unfamiliar country with different weather, different rules. Everything I think and do matters now, in a way it never did before. I seem to be leaving in the road behind me all sorts of unnecessary baggage, stuff too heavy to carry. Old fears are evaporating, the claustrophobia that crippled me for years is gone, vanished. What for years had terrified me now seem ridiculously easy. I haven’t got time for this, I think."

In addition, the woman is a knitter, which I am also relating to, having spent a ridiculous number of late-night hours trying to finish up the kid's Christmas gifts.

Clay is doing great with good blood counts and few side effects. Tomorrow is round 3; 4 is on New Year's eve. We will spend Christmas week at home with both Grandmothers. All the best to you and yours this Christmas.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment